SEABROOK – The Prince George’s County Fire Department and The Sentinel are teaming up to ask county residents to install smoke alarms in their homes in recognition of Fire Prevention Week. This year the fire department will recognize Fire Prevention Week from October 5- 11, with the theme “Smoke Alarms Save Lives.” “It’s required in […]
SEABROOK – The Prince George’s County Fire Department and The Sentinel are teaming up to ask county residents to install smoke alarms in their homes in recognition of Fire Prevention Week.
This year the fire department will recognize Fire Prevention Week from October 5- 11, with the theme “Smoke Alarms Save Lives.”
“It’s required in Prince George’s County to have a smoke alarm on each floor of your house as well as in the basement and attic area,” said Mark Brady, spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire Department. “If a resident of Prince George’s County is in need a smoke alarm, the county provides a free one to any resident.”
According to the United States Fire Administration, each year there are an estimated 405,000 fires in residential structures, which cause nearly 3,600 fatalities, 18,600 injuries, and $4.7 billion in property loss.
According to the fire department, there have been several fires this year in Prince George’s County where smoke alarms have saved residents’ lives.
On July 11, firefighters from Accokeek responded to a report from an alarm company that they were receiving an activated fire alarm coming from a home in the 3100 block of Bryan Point Road. No one was home at the time when a dehumidifier malfunctioned and ignited a fire in the basement. The smoke detector alerted firefighters who were able to quickly contain the fire and limited fire loss estimates to $5,000. No injuries occurred at this incident.
Later on the same day, a smoke alarm warned occupants of a fire in a one-story duplex on the 6700 block of 25th Avenue in West Hyattsville. Firefighters from the Chillum Fire/EMS Station located and extinguished the fire in the basement.
Firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 8700 block of 21st Place in Adelphi. A malfunctioning gas dryer in the basement had ignited a fire, which activated a working smoke alarm. Six adults and one child escaped safely and without injury.
To help to spread the word regarding smoke alarms, The Sentinel and the fire department will sponsor a poster contest for elementary school students in Prince George’s County. Students may design a poster depicting how fire alarms save lives, or demonstrating an example of a fire safety plan for their home and where to place smoke detectors.
Students may submit their contest entries at their local fire house or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org between Sept.17 and Oct. 3. The winner will get to have their picture in the paper and go on a tour of a firehouse—including an up-close look at the fire trucks.
Posters will be judged by Prince George’s County Fire Department officials and Sentinel staff.