CHILLUM – For the second time in week, a fire erupted in a Chillum house that did not have a working smoke alarm and sent an adult male and an infant to the hospital. Early Monday morning just before 12:30 a.m., Prince George’s County firefighters responded to the 6900 block of 23rd Place for a […]
CHILLUM – For the second time in week, a fire erupted in a Chillum house that did not have a working smoke alarm and sent an adult male and an infant to the hospital.
Early Monday morning just before 12:30 a.m., Prince George’s County firefighters responded to the 6900 block of 23rd Place for a reported house fire.
Upon arriving, Engine 844 reported smoke and fire showing from the one-story house with all residents out safely.
“Fire crews attempted to enter the house to make and attack on the fire, but due to heavy fire conditions and fire throughout the first floor, they had to take a defensive position and battled the fire from the exterior,” said Mark Brady, spokesperson for Prince George’s County Fire Department. “After several minutes battling the fire from the outside, they were able to reenter the house and were able to bring the fire under control with 30 minutes.”
Brady said the two injured victims were transported to a hospital in stable condition.
Fire investigators discovered the house did not have a working smoke alarm.
“This is the second time within a week we had a house fire in the county where the house did not have a working smoke alarm,” Brady said. “On Jan. 19, the same units that responded to Monday’s fire responded to a house fire on Knollbrook Drive, only a few blocks away where four people were killed. Investigators discovered there was no working smoke alarm in the house. We believe if there was a working smoke alarm in the house we would not have the fatalities we had.”
According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2015 three out of every five fire deaths resulted in homes with no working smoke alarm.
Smoke alarms should be placed on all floors of a house and by each bedroom.
“I cannot stress how important smoke alarms are,” Brady said. “There have been a large number of house fires where residents were alerted by the smoke alarms and were able to get out safely.”
Residents in Prince George’s County can receive a free smoke alarm by calling the county non emergency number 311, or residents can stop by their local fire department for a free smoke alarm.